Sunday 2 December 2012

Two days of porkiness @ S.Wine

I had been craving a proper English fry up for quite some time now, and decided to try the one served at Jarrod and Rawlins. Unbeknownst to me, the one that we used to frequent in Lorong Dungun closed in August. So, after getting over the disappointment I felt from being greeted by the premis' "To Let" sign, Hubby and I decided to try out S.Wine, a cozy little place located next to the area where the sell ham and bacon in Ben's Independent Grocers, Publika.

The decor of the restaurant does not let one forget that it is a place for indulging in the oink.

I can't decide if I should call it "Swine" or the cumbersome "Es wine"


The menu displaying a choice of both western and asian style grub.

The beverage list from which you can choose any tea or coffee to accompany your English Fry Up.
I had read in a few food blogs that the breakfast here was pretty good and decided to give it a go. Pictures they say, paint a thousand words, and they were right. From wanting to have a fry up, the pictures in the food blogs I read convinced me to try the Eggs Benedict instead. I was not disappointed at all.

Eggs Benedict- Nicely warmed muffin halves support arugula leaves topped with  a slice of lightly  grilled ham.  Sitting on this is the crowning glory of the dish; perfectly poached eggs covered in a light Hollandaise sauce. The light spiciness of the greens lent a freshness to the otherwise rich flavours. Very yummy.

Hubby decided to have the English Fry Up that come together with a choice of tea or coffee and an orange juice. He said that while it was good, there was nothing really spectacular or special about it.

The English Fry Up I decided not to have.
The Iced Milk Tea on the left was very nice. Although it was iced it did not taste watered down or diluted. The orange juice was okay. I also had a pineapple juice, but again, like the orange juice, nothing spectacular.
We finished everything!!! I really wanted to try the  French Toast but we were stuffed. I went home and waxed lyrical about the place to my Mum who promptly said "Okay, let's take Ama and Aunty there tomorrow before they go back to Ipoh."

As a result, we found ourselves looking at the same piggy menu earlier today with Hubby and I ordering different dishes. My Grandma had the English Fry Up while my Aunt had the Eggs Benedict upon our recommendation. My mother tried the Pasta with Sausages and Bacon and Dad had the Pigs in a Blanket while nibbling from our dishes. By the time the pasta and the Pigs in a Blanket came I had already started on my meal and forgot to take pictures. I did however take pictures of what my hubby, my sis and I had.

My husband decided to go for the Mexicana Pulled Pork. It's literally in house made baked beans topped with  Mexican style pulled pork and a soft boiled egg. This came together with a nice chunky piece of bread that had been spread with an avocado and feta cheese mix. The dish had just the right amount of spiciness to complement the taste of the beans.

My sister decided that she would go for the Lemongrass Pork Chops. This was also very good. I would recommend it to anyone wanted an Asian meal while supping there. The soup in the bowl is duck soup which, my sister says, is very good as well.
Wanting to try something different, I ordered the Chorizo Cheeseburger. It came with a small side of coleslaw  and pickles and a large helping of thick cut french fries. The french fries were very nicely done and stayed crispy long after I was done with the burger. The burger itself was tasty but a little too salty and tough for me. I think I would have done better ordering something else. Oh well, this means there's always a next time!!
The restaurant could do better with better timing in terms of food preparation as there was a long lag between the first dish that came out- The Eggs Benedict- and the last - The English Fry Up. By the time the traditional English breakfast arrived at our table, most of us had already finished our meals. 

The layout of the restaurant is such that it is split in half, divided by a small glass divider with the register in the middle. The servers tend to gather at the register while looking at the entrance so it is sometimes difficult to attract their attention. 

All in all both our visits to S.Wine did not disappoint and we will definitely go back again. The prices are similar to what you would pay at La Bodega, except you would be paying to eat OINK!!! Next time, I WILL get my French Toast (with grilled bananas, bacon and peanut butter- Damn those food bloggers yummy looking pictures)






No comments:

Post a Comment