Friday 18 January 2013

Post pregnancy and family support- Part 1

Dum de dum... Hubby's away in Thailand for work for three days and I am bored. I hope Mika doesn't decide to visit us early... Baby, you have a good 4.5 weeks left, please be good, listen to Mummy and stay inside.

I'm feeling increasingly nervous as my due date draws closer...I find myself worrying about so many things. Will the room be ready on time, will my labour go smoothly, will she be healthy, will I be able to breastfeed, will Hubby and I be able to cope... Obviously being Malaysian Chinese, most people would suggest I employ a confinement lady for one to three months to help out right after Mika is born. The confinement lady's role is to ensure I adhere to confinement norms to keep my body 'healthy',to  look after the baby at night so the new Mum and Dad can sleep and to teach us the ropes involved in taking care of a new baby.

HOWEVER, me being me, I have decided that I will not have a confinement lady come in as I would not be able to put up with a stranger making me eat food I don't like, preventing me from drinking cold drinks and eating ice-cream, telling me I can't wash my hair for 30 days and then insisting I learn outdated methods of childcare. Instead I will have my Mum (who incidentally did not have a confinement lady after both my sister and I were born either and who is also feeling increasingly anxious.) and the rest of my family!!!

Mum's bought a book on confinement foods, and we have gone through it together deciding what to cook, so I am quite looking forward to it. For theoretical information, Hubby and I have been to ante-natal classes together and have bought several books as well. As for looking after Mika, I am living with my parents so they will be able to teach us all the practical skills we will need to know.

My parents have been incredibly supportive, so much so I don't want to move out!! Mum's even come to my breastfeeding class with me and she says it was an eye opener as so many new things have come up. Thank goodness I will not have to put up with old folks saying "Aiyah, you don't have enough milk, better go and make some formula milk for Mika, she's hungry" instead I foresee Mum being very supportive =)

My Dad's also taking his role as Grandad very seriously and has recently bought a little baby tub. Although no one has said anything, Dad declared that he needs that tub as he will be relegated bathing duties anyway. I haven't had the heart to tell him that his son-in -law will have to bath Mika at night as a means of bonding. He's also starting to think of nursery rhymes to sing to her already...

Mika's only aunt is excited in her own way, coming to me off and on and talking and making weird noises into my tummy to see if her niece moves. Very cute. My baby sister is excited about the baby.


Meanwhile, Hubby's Mum all the way over in Japan keeps wondering (and I think secretly hoping) that Mika will arrive earlier as she cannot wait to see the baby ^.^ I think she would be so chuffed if her first grandchild was born in January as that would mean they shared the same birth month! Plan are already being made to come over to see Mika although dates have not been finalised.


Mika darling, you are one lucky baby. Everyone's doting on you even before you see the light of day. I dread to think of how spoilt you could become if I am not strict as your Daddy's already admitted he will not be able to say no to you and your Grandad has declared that it is the job of grandparents to spoil their grandchild. >.<

Next checkup this Saturday... can't wait to see you again my preciousssss...



No comments:

Post a Comment