Friday 26 October 2012

Kushiyaki... yumyum

I used to frequent this little Japanese Yakitori place is Plaza Damas called Tamako until the owner sold it off and went back to Japan. In its place is another Japanese restaurant called Kushiyaki Kuni that sells kushiyaki, Japanese style kebab. It's owned by a chef who used to work at Kura, the Japanese restaurant in One World Hotel. 

So friends who live in the area have been telling me that this place is good and so the husband and I decided to go there for dinner tonight. I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture of the menu, but apart from kushiyaki, diners can also order noodles, salads, sashimi and grilled fish.

We ordered the potato salad, edamame, a variety of kushiyaki, a bowl of pork miso soup and a bowl of sake ochazuke, rice in a fish stock with flaked salmon, spring onions, wasabi and stock granules as topping.

The potato salad was nice, but did not have the usual cucumber and carrots in it. Instead it had mashed boiled egg in it, so I wasn't really sure if I was eating  potato salad or egg salad. I tend to prefer mine with a bit more crunch.
The edamame was delicious! As you can see, it's still on the vine- just like the ones served in  Kura which I love!- And I believe that like tomatoes, being picked and then served still on the vine gives it a much richer flavour. 
From L-R: 2 Grilled chicken skin skewers, 2 grilled chicken thigh with leek skewers, 1 pork belly skewer and  1 pork belly and leek skewer. The skewers were well seasoned and full of flavour although I found the chicken thigh a little too tough for my liking. This came accompanied with some super miso as a dipping sauce.














The super miso dipping sauce.

Tonjiru- pork miso soup. Nice and flavourful with a good amount of pork and veggies.  Hubs said that  it was good but that he tasted hondashi in the soup- fish stock that is usually used in miso soups- and that he preferred it without like what we do at home.
My husband says they drink menu is satisfactory and ranges from a premium Japanese whisky called Hibiki to draft Asahi beer and bottled Suntory Premium Malt. It also includes Japanese sake and sochu. Being pregnant, I had no choice but to settle for green tea while hubs had a bottle or Premium Malt. 

The total bill came to about RM120 for everything. Will definitely go back.

E-0-15 & 1-10, 
Plaza Damas, 
No 60, Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, 
Sri Hartamas, 50480 
Kuala Lumpur
03-6206 2990




No comments:

Post a Comment